Foot Reflexology: What Is It and How Can It Help You?
Foot reflexology may sound like some new form of physical therapy, but it actually has a very deep and complex history. Early forms of foot massage therapy have been traced all the way back to Ancient Egypt and China. The term reflexology, referring to the act of applying pressure to the feet and hands to affect physical changes in the body, was coined in Europe in the late 17th century. Since then, the science and technique of reflexology have improved and involved to help many people manage chronic pain and health conditions. Here is some more information about foot reflexology and its benefits for the certified massage therapists at RelaxZone Wellness Centre.
How Does Foot Reflexology Work?
Also known as zone therapy, foot reflexology works on the premise that there is an energy channel that runs from our feet to the top of our heads that can influence the working of all 12 vital organs. By applying pressure to certain points along the foot, a reflexologist seeks to unblock this energy channel to improve the functioning of the body and internal organs.
Foot reflexology is part of a holistic health regime. This means that foot reflexology doesn’t seek to provide any quick-fixes or short-term solutions to your health concerns. When practiced in combination with other holistic health plans, such as diet and exercise routines, reflexology can help alleviate pain over a sustained period of time.
The Benefits of Foot Reflexology
There are many benefits of foot reflexology, including the following:
- Reflexology can be used to alleviate suffering caused by colds and minor ailments.
- It can be used to relieve stress and anxiety, as well as increase energy.
- It can be used to prevent health conditions from developing by stimulating activity in internal organs and increasing blood circulation.
- Reflexology can provide pain relief for people suffering from MS or who have recently undergone chemotherapy.
- Reflexology can also be used to treat liver dysfunction, constipation, IBS, chronic headaches, and skin allergies.
Foot reflexology is a safe and effective alternative therapy for anyone suffering from tension or pain in the body. For more information about foot reflexology and to book a consultation with one of our holistic health care specialists, contact us today at RelaxZone.